ROAD SIGNS MADE OF 100% BAMBOO
In our current Dutch streetscape almost everyone knows the aluminium road signs, but who knows the bamboo road signs? As business partners, we are committed to the environment and sustainability. Sustainable entrepreneurship is in our blood, in our DNA. We have integrated sustainability into our processes in various ways. We are constantly looking for new innovations that lead to sustainable alternatives and solutions. We are therefore proud of the fact that we have found a sustainable alternative to the regular aluminium traffic sign: a bamboo traffic sign. This bamboo traffic sign is a scratch-resistant traffic sign that, due to the hardness, density and stability of bamboo, does not break or deform.
Our bamboo signs are fully recyclable. Energy is released when the bamboo is burned, in a biomass power plant with an emission limit. This energy is then used to produce electricity. The remaining heat can also be used for a heat network.
BAMBOO BRACES AND POLES
Because attaching bamboo traffic signs to an aluminium or steel pole and fixing them with steel brackets is not very durable, we have also developed bamboo brackets and bamboo poles.
- All RVV plates are available in Bamboo
- The bamboo bollard is always made of round 60 mm for strength, also provided with an anchor.
- The ground section is equipped with a shrink-sock which prevents contact between ground water and bamboo. This benefits the lifespan of the pile.
- The bamboo has undergone heat and fumigation treatment. In this process, the bamboo is treated for at least 30 minutes (at a temperature of 65°C) in the heart of the wood against organisms present, which prevents the formation of mould. This fumigation is the standard in Europe. Previously, methyl bromide (MB) was also fumigated, but because it is very harmful to the environment, it has been banned in Europe since 2010.
BAMBOO ROAD SIGNS
- Durability class 1 according to the European NEN 12899-1; this means a minimum service life of 25 years (usage class 3 according to EN 335).
- Performance declaration for bamboo in combination with retroreflective film;
- Provided with a digitally printed retroreflective film and a transparent laminate, which protects against all weather conditions, UV radiation and ageing;
- Suitable for outdoor use by impregnation with European approved biocides.
- The surface is treated with a natural adhesive layer which is completely biodegradable!
- The durable carrier in combination with the signface (which is affixed under CE marking) makes the entire road sign a durable alternative;
- The observation angle is less than 5 degrees, making the signs more legible, even from the side;
- Fewer aluminium road signs required. The raw material for aluminium is bauxite (iron ore), a finite raw material. In order to obtain this, serious mining is necessary. Also, the production of aluminium requires a lot of energy and releases a lot of CO2, whereas bamboo absorbs this.
Characteristics of Bamboo
- Bamboo is very strong thanks to its hardness, density and stability;
- Bamboo is a green, renewable raw material;
- By cutting only 20% of the logs each year, 80% of a forest is preserved and deforestation is prevented.
- Grows up to 1 meter per day and every 4-5 years the logs are uprooted (in segmented parts).
- Bamboo grows on bare, erosion-prone slopes and is therefore particularly interesting for areas where there is deforestation;
- Bamboo has a negative CO2 footprint over its entire life cycle.
- During its growth, Bamboo absorbs more CO2 than is emitted during production (CO2 neutral over its entire life cycle.
- Bamboo is fully recyclable, for example by combustion in a biomass power plant. This releases energy from which electricity is made, which can be used for a heat network.
Road signs made of bamboo are available via:
Bewust van mens en omgeving.
Infra totaal toeleverancier
Samen Buiten Groener Maken
Samen Buiten Groener Maken